Having worked for Microsoft for the past 2 and a half months, I would have to say that I have learned a lot.
One of the things that I have realized is that when you do some job, you gotta do a superb job that you'd be ready to stake your life on it. There is a culture of smart people--ehem, ultra smart people--in the company. And making amateur mistakes will just make you silly and... amateur compared to these guys.
And nothing stills or calms me as effective as that thought. The first few weeks, I was doing just enough to not screw things up. But sometimes, just getting something to work, or fixing a bug isn't enough. It's embarrassing when your bug is the only bug that comes back because a tester found some scenarios where things still break down.
I have these teammates that are technically strong, I cannot comprehend how they think. They can tell you what's wrong at a glance. I mean, c'mon! I almost think that they already know the app inside out and that they're just pretending they haven't done this before.
What's funny as well is that each of my teammates, when placed in a mediocre company would probably be the star programmers there. And despite their mind boggling skills, they stood shoulder to shoulder with everyone else.
Because of this, I have found new respect for the software captains of different businesses that are pioneering today's Internet. The software developers of Google, Symantec, Amazon, etc.
That's it for now... Time for me to sleep...
Thursday, March 29, 2007
My Professional Education Has Started
Posted by
chris
at
10:58 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment