Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Does Money Buy Happiness?

My current roommate that I'm leaving is short on cash. And his 18 year old son who lives away wants to go to a choir tour. The son's a budding musician and basically need money to get on this tour for his musical education. A few nights back, my roommate lashed out in frustration at how he'll get money to pay for his son's expense.

He can barely pay his bills, and I'm leaving (which means he won't be getting rent), and his reserves are virtually non-existent. I could see it in his eyes that it's a tough spot for him. He needs money for his personal expense and he needs it for his son.

So tonight, I was in my room and I felt rumblings outside in the living room. I didn't go out immediately, but I saw my roommate hauling furniture with his son into the apartment, stuff that people are going to throw away anyway. I chatted with him and his son.

The funniest thing is that they were having a hell lot of a time. They were laughing their asses, joking around, and genuinely having fun while doing this to raise money. They looked like they bonded along the way.

It's funny how you seem to have fun when you don't have money...

No comments: