Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Thinking of Going Home

Lately, I've been thinking of going back to the Philippines, for good. I use to day dream it but it's usually nothing serious. The past few days however, I'm beginning to realize that going back to the Philippines might not be a bad move.

I've been in the United States since 2002, so that's about 6 years. It's been a long ride, and I've made lots of friends here already. But I've been seeing that the things that made me chase the dream to go to America, it has been where I've come from right from the beginning.

It took me to go here to realize what I want in life. I'm not talking merely of materialistic aspirations, but also of intangible ones. And it took me some more time to realize that those things I want in life... are there where I came from.

How ironic is that?

Don't get me wrong, I love it here. The people are very friendly, honest and caring. The Americans I've made friends with are characters I'll cherish in my life. Even the Filipinos here are amazingly friendly people.

But no matter how wonderful this place is, there's still that desire to go back... to where you come from... Would a pond fish really enjoy the open ocean? Sometimes, it needs to come back, because no matter how wonderful and better the ocean is, it's home is the pond.

If I ever do come back, I won't feel that I've wasted my time here. Far from it. I've learned a lot. And perhaps the best gift I've received is I've seen the Philippines and Filipinos in a new light. How wonderful is it to truly see how beautiful the my country is, and it's people.

And I wouldn't see that, had I not gone here.

5 comments:

Sun Jun said...

very true ^^

come back na! everyone's waiting for you here ^^

happy holidays bong!

joven said...

oo nga, bong! pero post ka muna kung uuwi ka na talaga, may ipapabili lang ako. joke! :D

chris said...

Hey Stephen and Joven! Thanks for posting.

Stephen: I am contemplating about it. It would be nice to get back and see how Manila has changed. I miss the sights and sounds.

Joven: I will definitely post something about an event of that significance. Kamusta na ba kayo diyan? Buo pa rin ba yung group niyo sa SAL (i.e., the batch 1 year older than mine? )?

O siya siya... Salamat again sa pag-post. I didn't realize you know my blog. Ang usual na visitors ko dito ay sila Bmac, Stephen at Paolo Aseron lang.

-Bong

joven said...

hey bong! eto, may kanya-kanya nang mundo... bihira na magkita yung karamihan. hirap kasi mag-sked ng get-together. siguro pag may umuwi na lang na manlilibre (gaya mo, hehe).

nakita ko yata tong blog mo either from bry o sa friendster. nalilimutan ko lang mag-comment dati. :)

chris said...

Haha, yeah that seems to be the inevitable trajectory after college. Kalat kalat na mga tao.

Pag bumalik ako, there's a few people I have in mind that I would like to catch up on. One of which is the famous (or was it infamous?) Xenon group. ;)

Well, I appreciate you visiting my blog. It's some of my private thoughts. As much as I would like to keep it to only a few audiences, you are welcome to visit, agree, disagree, manggulo, violently react or otherwise participate in any way you want.

Hanggang sa muli.